Business Leader; Board Member; Investor: World Economic Forum-Young Global Leader; Fortune 40 under 40, India 40 under 40 three years in a row; Mentor/Coach to business leaders
- Currently, Member of the Board of Directors at OYO Hotels & Homes
- Formerly, Member of the Board of Directors at InterGlobe Aviation Limited (IndiGo)
- Formerly, Member of the Board of Directors at InterGlobe Technologies
- Formerly, Member of the Board of Directors at InterGlobe Hotels
- Currently, Member of the Board of Directors at Nani Palkhivala Arbitration Centre
- Former CEO of OYO Hotels and Homes- India & South Asia
- Former President & Wholetime Director of IndiGo
Aditya Ghosh is a seasoned professional with over 22 years of experience. Aditya is currently a member of the board of director of OYO Hotels & Homes, one of the world’s leading hospitality chain with presence across 80 countries.
Prior to this Aditya has had multiple roles as the CEO of large consumer facing businesses with complex operations including OYO Hotels and Homes and IndiGo.
Most recently he was the CEO at OYO Hotels & Homes- India and South Asia. He was entrusted with the responsibility of overseeing and growing OYO’s business in South Asia; along with driving growth, delivering high-quality customer experience and sustained yields. Under Aditya’s leadership, OYO Hotels & Homes emerged as the largest player in the Indian hospitality market with over 10,000 leased and franchised buildings and more than 200,000 rooms across 300 Indian cities. The revenue from Indian business grew 2.9X YoY, contributing 63.5% to overall revenue of OYO. Aditya led the gross margin to increase from 10.6% in FY18 to 14.7% in FY19 while also reducing the losses by 40%. Aditya is also credited with introducing the first-of-its-kind year-long initiative for fostering a deeper engagement among OYO hotel owners across the country under the OYO Partner Engagement Network (OPEN). OPEN not only aims to drive the growth of thousands of OYO hotel owners but also create world-class benchmarks of quality and consistency across the company’s network of hotels in the region. A strong advocate of philanthropy and giving back to society, Aditya also enabled the launch of OYOReach, the company’s CSR initiative, through which OYO has contributed towards water and environment conservation initiatives, and supported the victims of floods in Odisha, Assam, and Bihar.
Aditya joined OYO Hotels & Homes following an outstanding stint at IndiGo as the President & Wholetime Director of IndiGo, where he was instrumental in turning the airline into the largest and most profitable airline in India, and also one of the fastest-growing low-cost carriers in the world. Aditya was inducted to the Board of Directors of IndiGo in May 2007 and took on the role as its President almost ten years ago in August 2008. As the President of the airline, Aditya headed all operations and management of IndiGo reporting to the Board of Directors. He accepted this role at the age of 33 and turned IndiGo into the largest and most profitable airline in India and one of the fastest-growing low- cost carriers in the world. Under Aditya’s leadership, IndiGo’s fleet grew from 18 to nearly 200 airplanes; connecting over 50 cities in India and overseas; carrying over 50 million customers annually; and revenues grew nearly ten fold to around US$ 3.7 billion. When Aditya announced his decision to leave IndiGo to explore new ventures, the market capitalisation of IndiGo was around US$ 8 billion. IndiGo became the fastest growing airline in India, having flown over 200 million passengers in about 12 years. He redefined the concept of punctuality or as we now say it- IndiGo standard Time. Aditya, not only led the rapid domestic expansion of IndiGo within India, he also launched the international operations of the airline and took to it where it contributed to about 20% of the airline's operations. In 2017, IndiGo also announced its foray into regional flying within India and Aditya led the launch of IndiGo's regional operations in a matter of only 200 days.
In all the 10 years under Aditya’s leadership, IndiGo was awarded Best Companies to Work For in India. IndiGo does not have any unions and is the only airline of its size in the world which is completely non-unionised. IndiGo is often cited as an example of what an organisation's culture should be. ifly – the learning academy of IndiGo and truly a state of the art infrastructure with all the world class facilities, was conceptualized by Aditya as he believed training to be the foundation for building an organization’s culture. To quote Aditya- “ifly is where the spirit of IndiGo gets created”.
During his stint at IndiGo, Aditya was also a strong advocate for diversity and inclusion at IndiGo, which is currently credited to have the maximum number of women pilots and a workforce comprising of 43% women. He has also been part of several CSR programmes like IndiGoReach focusing on women empowerment, children and education, and the environment.
Aditya is a key supporter of the start-up world, he has made multiple investments in consumer facing businesses in spheres of food and beverages, services and health and wellness.
Through his investment arm Homage Ventures, he has invested in companies such as Blue Tokai, an indigenous coffee roaster; Wholsum Foods, a packaged food company focussing on healthy and affordable products made from super grains; and Caterland UK, a fine dining restaurant in London. Aditya being a fitness enthusiast has also invested in Sarva Yoga, a yoga studio chain and Genepath Diagnostics, a start up in the molecular genetics space.
Homage Ventures has also invested in SpeakIn a first-of-its kind expert platform of Asian expertise; Vsync, a brand and digital consultancy; and Juggernaut, an aspiring world-class Indian publishing company trying to redefine reading and writing for the digital age.
Aditya is also Member of the Advisory Board and an Investor at the Fireside Ventures, a leading Venture Capital firm.
He also sits on the Board of Directors of Nani Palkhivala Arbitration Centre, which aims to transform the delivery of justice, especially in the area of commercial disputes. He is one of the Founders of The Ashoka University and Member Circle of Sponsors where he is actively involved in leading the service excellence aspect. He is also Member of the Board of Advisors at Centre for Creative Leadership contributing to leadership development, an area of special interest to him.
Aditya never went to business school and is a lawyer by training. Before his business role, Aditya practised law at the prestigious corporate law firm, J. Sagar Associates and then as the General Counsel at InterGlobe Enterprises. Aditya specialized in corporate commercial law with a focus on acquisitions, joint ventures, and cross-border transactions.
Aditya is married with two teenage children and lives in India . He is considered to be one of the fittest business leaders in India. He also has other interests such as the art and culture, sports and travel. He has a keen interest in creating social impact in Diversity & Inclusion, Education, Women led entrepreneurship and leadership development.
Awards and Recognitions
• Aditya has been awarded as ‘Intraprenuer of the Year’ at annual flagship awards by Entrepreneur in 2019.
• Mr Aditya Ghosh was appointed as Chevalier de l’Ordre national du Merite (Knight in the National Order of Merit) by the President of the French Republic in 2015.
• He has been named by the World Economic Forum as one of the Young Global Leaders in 2015.
• In 2012, he was ranked 27th globally, in Fortune Magazine’s elite “40 under 40 list”.
• He received the Low Cost Leadership award at the “World Airline Awards”, London 2011 and 2015.
• He made it to the Fortune India's first '40 Under 40' list and has been an esteemed member of this elite list, three years in a row
• He was nominated for the CNN-IBN Indian of The Year 2013 in the business category
• He received the ‘Young Business Leader 2011’ award at NDTV Profit Business Leadership Awards 2011.
• He was also honoured with the People CEO award at the NHRDN People CEO Conclave in 2016.
• He was also awarded ‘CEO of the year’ award by SABRE in July 2013.
• He is a member of the Main Jury of the St. Gallen Wings of Excellence Award in 2014 at the St Gallen Business School in Switzerland
• He was named “the businessman of the year” at the GQ Men of the Year Awards held in Mumbai, 2013.
• Vogue India awarded Mr. Aditya Ghosh for being an Extraordinary Individual in the ‘BUSINESS’ category.
• For the second year running, he has been selected by GQ’s editorial team as one of the 50 Most Influential Young Indians in 2016
• He was recognized as a Style Icon and was named as one of the most stylish men of 2016 at the sixth edition of the HT Most Stylish awards
• He has also been identified as one of India’s “Hottest Young Executives” by the Business Today magazine in 2011.
• Mr. Aditya Ghosh has been conferred 'Sera Bangali' in the field of Business for the year 2014 by ABP Ananda.